The 2017 Diamonds in the Desert Contest
Registration form found here.
The Phoenix Desert Rose Chapter of RWA® is offering the Diamonds in the Desert Contest to coincide with our 2017 Desert Dreams Conference. This is the perfect opportunity to avoid the slush pile and get your work critiqued by an editor or agent. Winners are announced in June at the 2017 Desert Dreams Conference.
Who Can Submit?
The contest is open to both published and unpublished authors.
What Can You Submit?
Any non-contracted, unpublished work 40,000 words or longer that is a romance or contains strong romantic elements.
NOTE: Any self-published work is published, and is not eligible. If the entry becomes contracted on or before March 01, 2017 you must notify the Diamonds in the Desert contest coordinator. Your entry will then be returned and you will receive a refund of the entry fee.
Genres are Contemporary, Inspirational, Historical, Erotica, Young Adult, New Adult, Fantasy/Futuristic/Paranormal, and Romantic Suspense.
Who Are the Judges?
First round judges are published and unpublished writers. Final round judges are agents and editors attending the 2017 Desert Dreams Conference. All entrants will receive a score sheet with comments from the first round judges. Submissions will remain anonymous to the judges.
How is it Scored?
There are three first round scores. The lowest score is dropped and the two remaining are averaged (the third may be used in the event of a tie). The top 3 entries in each category will go on to the final round.
First round score sheets will be returned after the finalists are announced.
What If I Final?
The three finalists from each category will be announced on April 25,, 2017. All finalists will receive a certificate. Finalists will have twenty-four hours to revise their entry and resubmit. Failure to re-submit your entry by the deadline will result in disqualification and your entry fee will NOT be refunded.
What if I Win?
There will be one winner per category. Winners will be announced on June 3, 2017. All winners will receive a certificate and digital banner to use on your website, Facebook®, Twitter®, etc.
2017 Diamonds in the Desert Contest Rules
• Register and submit your entry between February 1 – March 1, 2017.
• Published and unpublished writers can submit, but the work must be non-published and non-contracted.
• One entry per person.
• Entry Fee: The entry fee will be $25.00. Payment due at time of registration.
• Failure to meet any of the Entry Guidelines below will result in disqualification and a refund of your entry fee.
• Submit the first 20 manuscript pages and a 3-page (max) synopsis, all in one file. Total page length must not exceed 23 pages.
• Manuscripts must be in standard manuscript format (Times New Roman 12 point font or similar with 1 inch margins, max 25 lines per page).
• Headers: left side, category; right side, title and page number.
• Footers should be blank.
• Manuscripts must be Word format (.doc or .docx)
• The author’s name may not appear anywhere on the manuscript or synopsis pages. Entries that do not meet this requirement will be disqualified.
Registration opens February 1, 2017 and ends at midnight MST on March 1, 2017.
Need More Info?
For additional information, please contact the Diamonds in the Desert Contest Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.